President Trump just broke his silence on the Iran attack and calmed a nervous nation. Look, we all know there are some neocons who want war.
It seems Iran is ready or bluffing for war as the sanctions are crippling their economy. Thankfully, Trump is not trigger happy and does not want another stupid war.
He just called their actions a big mistake with is a good vague language but when Trump was talking to a Time Magazine reporter earlier, he shed more light into his thinking.
From Time: When asked whether the latest attacks against oil tankers near the Strait of Hormuz, which U.S. officials blame on Iran, threaten to draw America toward a new, dangerous intervention in the Middle East, he requests favorable data once more.
“Do me a favor, will you get the information I had yesterday?” he says to an aide in the next room.
“The companies, the countries that benefit from the strait? I want to show you something. China gets 60% of their oil there. Japan gets 25% of their oil. We get very little.”
In other words, we are not going to war anytime soon. From CNN:
President Donald Trump and his aides were confronting dramatically increased tensions with Iran on Thursday after the downing of a US spy drone near the Persian Gulf.
“Iran made a very big mistake!” the President tweeted mid-morning as his national security officials were huddling to weigh possible responses.
The ominous — if vague — message came after Iran’s Revolutionary Guard said it had shot down an “intruding American spy drone” after it entered into the country’s territory Thursday.
The move caused the volatile situation in the region to deteriorate further. Trump has tightened sanctions on Iran after withdrawing from the Obama-era nuclear deal last year.
At the same time, Trump has sought to calm nerves, and continues to privately express wariness at wading into another foreign conflict.
“Don’t worry about a thing,” Trump told interviewer Sean Hannity on Fox News on Wednesday evening. “Everything’s under control.”
For Trump, the situation will provide a test of his willingness to engage Iran after weeks of escalation, including attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf.
In meetings with his national security team over the past several weeks, Trump has maintained his skepticism toward going to war with Iran, telling advisers he isn’t interested in sending American troops into another engagement in the Middle East.
He has also told his team that regime change should not be in the cards — a position he reiterated during a news conference in Japan at the end of May.
That stance has sometimes been at odds with other members of his national security team, including national security adviser John Bolton and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Both have offered hawkish warnings to Iran over its behavior.
Iran made a very big mistake!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 20, 2019